Saturday 5 November 2016

This Is the Story of a Door. Ugly slab door makeover.

Pin It


In the stone house that we are renovating, we created a pantry, in that pantry is a window, we didn't want to lose the light that shines in there so we needed  pantry door with a window. I could probably have found a suitable door, but that just isn't my way is it?
I went looking through my stash, and I do have some very nice doors, but I didn't want to ruin any of them by taking out a lovely old panel and inserting glass.
When we found this door, and it was just the size we needed, I seriously didn't know if I could make this look good, but it was worth a try.


I found just the right window in my stash (this is just a little part of my stash), it's from my Grandmother's house, circa early 1930's.


I cut a hole in the door with a circular saw, and secured the window in by nailing and gluing cottage grade tongue and groove panelling over it. I cut the tongues and grooves off, and turn the paneling backward so that I have a rough surface to do the paint treatment on.


I outlined the edge of the door with paneling,


and then chose to do a couple of strips down the middle.


I painted the door white and then stained over it with black, rubbing most of it off I liked the window as it was so I didn't even have to paint it. Then I sanded the rough paneling with the sander. This picture is of the back of the door. I wasn't going to bother adding the extra embellishment in the middle, but later realized that I had the wrong swing going, so I eventually finished this side too and it became the outside after Johnny switched the hinges over for me.



Here it is in place, can you see the photo bomber?


I bet you can now!



I saved the original trim and we used it again on the main floor of the house, isn't it pretty?




Pin It

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice article. I hope your blog guide would be helpful for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its really fun to read. I enjoyed a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Immensely thought out! This was the most detailed article

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing the informative post. Keep on writing the same way you did here

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like your post, I always like to read quality content and you have one

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing. It is such a very amazing post. Great job you made in this post

    ReplyDelete
  8. The website style is perfect; the articles are great. and you are great Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic blog, This really is an incredibly amazing resource. Many thanks

    ReplyDelete

Pin It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...